Hernandez Family Assessment
Assessment is as essential to family therapy as it is to individual therapy. Although families often present with one person identified as the â€œproblem,â€ the assessment process will help you better understand family roles and determine whether the identified problem client is in fact the root of the familyâ€™s issues. As you examine the Hernandez Family: Sessions 1-6 videos in this weekâ€™s Learning Resources, consider how you might assess and treat the client family.
- Assess client families presenting for psychotherapy
- Review this weekâ€™s Learning Resources and reflect on the insights they provide on family assessment.
- View the Hernandez Family: Sessions 1-6 videos, and consider how you might assess the family in the case study.
Note: For guidance on writing a comprehensive client assessment, refer to pages 137â€“142 of Wheeler (2014) in this weekâ€™s Learning Resources.
Address in a comprehensive client assessment of the Hernandez family the following:
- Demographic information
- Presenting problem
- History or present illness
- Past psychiatric history
- Medical history
- Substance use history
- Developmental history
- Family psychiatric history
- Psychosocial history
- History of abuse and/or trauma
- Review of systems
- Physical assessment
- Mental status exam
- Differential diagnosis
- Case formulation
- Treatment plan
Note: Any item you are unable to address from the video should be marked â€œneeds to be added toâ€ as you would in an actual comprehensive client assessment