INSTRUCTIONS AND LIST OF MOVIES.
Abnormal Psychology 242Paper Assignment:
1. Choose one character that you are going to examine. State the character’s name and brieflydescribe the movie that they are from. What is the character’s basic presenting problem (i.e.,what issues he/she is facing,
how his/her family/personal background affects the issue, what he/she feels, how he/she deals with his/her emotions or copes with problems)? This section should be about 1 page.
2. State the psychiatric disorder that the character demonstrates (i.e., Borderline Personality Disorder, OCD, Major Depressive Disorder, etc.).
Describe how the character demonstrates the symptoms for the disorder. You can also use the DSM-V criteria. The symptoms are in the book
and criteria are in the powerpoint slides for the disorders we have covered so far. If you cannot find the DSM-V criteria, please contact your TA. Share
specific examples of the character’s behaviors, statements or ways of thinking that specifically support your view that they meet criteria for this disorder. Make sure to make an argument and link your character’s symptom presentation to the disorder you believe he/she has. 2-2.5 pages.
3. Having described the character and their disorder, describe the etiology of the disorder drawing on lectures, textbooks, and journal articles.You need to specify the type of biological, psychological and social dimensions that may come together to bring about the disorder. 1 – 1.5
4. After describing the etiology, describe the treatment you would recommend for this character, drawing on what you learned in lectures, the textbook or other readings. It is not enough to say psychotherapy or medication; you must specify the type of therapy or class of medication and
explain why you would recommend that course of treatment. 1-1.5 pages.
5. The paper should be 4-6 pages long. Writing quality (i.e., grammar and spelling) and organization will count in the grading of this assignment. The paper is to be double-spaced, with no greater that 1” margins all around, and no greater than 12 point font (Times New Roman or Arial, not Courier).
6.The entire paper should be in APA style including the cover page (with a title), citations that you use (including the textbook) and a list of references at the end of the document also using APA. Have two, non-textbook sources from which you are citing – one can include the movie and
at least one must be a journal article that is peer reviewing using PSYCINFO. Cover page and reference page do NOT count as part of the 4-6 page requirement
List of movies:
Saving Private Ryan (PTSD)
The Hours (Major Depressive Disorder)
Girl, Interrupted (Borderline personality disorder) As Good As It Gets (OCD)
Who’s afraid of Virginia Woolf? (Psychotic disorder) Shine (Psychotic Disorder)
28 days (Substance abuse)
The Best Little Girl in
The Soloist (Schizophrenia)
the World (
A Beautiful Mind (Schizophrenia)
Eating Disorder) Falling Down (Paranoid Personality Disorder)
The English Patient (Schizoid Personality Disorder) Anywhere but Here (Histrionic PD)
Long Day’s Journey into Night (Histrionic PD) Goodfellas (Substance Abuse)
Taxi Driver (Schizotypal PD)
The Aviator (OCD)
Fatal Attraction (Borderline Personality Disorder) Silence of the Lambs (Antisocial Personality Disorder) Copycat (Agoraphobia)
Gone with the Wind (Histrionic PD)
Trainspotting (Substance Dependence)
Grey Gardens (Agoraphobia)
Ordinary People (Major Depressive Disorder)
Silver Linings Playbook (Bipolar Disorder)