In 2009, President Obama said the single greatest threat to United States security was the global recession. How does a global recession impact U.S. security? Why does a global recession matter? Security experts note that the economic downturn is already creating social unrest and political instability in some strategic hot spots around the world, and they warn that a prolonged slump could undermine U.S. and Western security interests.
The global economy is an important issue of particular importance to people of all ages in all parts of the world. As our world experiences a deep economic downturn, what is the best plan of action to combat global recession? A global crisis requires a global solution. For the final segment of this semester’s final project, your task is to prepare a 5 minute speech that outlines your plan to solve the global economic crisis.
As we discussed previously, every new unit will investigate an important issue for the region we are studying in preparation for the G8 Summit … the final project. This will be your fifth of five components that will make up your Semester 1 final project grade.
You may complete this assignment as a word document, video, or podcast.
You may use the following resources to help you write your speech or you can use any additional resources:
- Riots, instability spread as food prices skyrocket (key word search: CNN world food crisis riots)
- Poorest nations face large financing shortfall due to credit crisis – World Bank (key word search UN financial crisis poorest nations)
- Financial crisis to deepen extreme poverty, increase child mortality rates – UN report (key word search UN financial crisis child mortality extreme poverty)
You will be graded according to the following criteria:
- Logical and coherent plan – 10 points
- Discuss one or more of the economic systems and how they are impacted by and/or contributing to the economic crisis – 10 points
- Display understanding of current issues with supporting evidence – 10 points
- Discussion of specific problems that need to be addressed as well as suggestions for potential solutions with supporting evidence – 10 points
- Outline of goals for the future and how those goals can be reached – 10 points