Today we are going to debate a fundamental question: about the importance of art in the world by reviewing the functions and purposes of art. We will discuss these two questions and one brave volunteer will make a comparative list as the discussion unfolds: Art is important because…. Art is not important because …
- Respond spontaneously in completing the statements, then in a more reflective manner.
- Proceed to a more in-depth discussion by posing these questions:
- What functions does art fulfill in Western society?
- How does art function differently in urban, suburban, and rural environments?
- How does artwork function in wealthy, middle-class, or impoverished social structures?
- Does contemporary art appropriately represent our current culture?