A. Directions: Provide definitions for the listed terms
7. Battle of Mecca:
8. Arab nationalism:
9. Sahih Bukhari/Sahih Muslim:
B. Who are they? What is their impact on the Middle East (1 point each, 2 points)
a. Napoleon Bonaparte:
b. Lawrence â€œof Arabiaâ€:
B. Directions: Answer 3 of the following questions and respond in about 2-4 paragraphs each. Make sure to answer all parts of the question and use examples from assigned readings, lectures, films, discussions, and class worksheets in your answer.
1. From 1300 to 1700, three â€˜gunpowder empiresâ€™ dominated. There was almost simultaneous rise of three great empires in the Islamic world, the Ottoman Empire, the Safavid Empire and the Mughal Empire. Compare and contrast these three Islamic empires.
2. In 1798, a French armada under the command of Napoleon Bonaparte appeared off the Egyptian coast near Alexandria. The Napoleonic expedition becomes fundamental to understanding what came next, and the nature of the challenge that Muslims were faced with in the modern world. What is the impact of that expedition? Why Napoleon Bonaparte chose to conquer Egypt? List some of the achievements of Bonaparteâ€™s invasion of Egypt.
3. What is sharia law and how was it established in early Islamic history? Who is involved in making and interpreting sharia law? What sources are used?
4. Discuss the events that led to the making of the modern â€œMuslim worldâ€. How did this history shape the events of 2011 and why is it important to consider the relationship between the past and present in our analysis of national and global problems (why, if at all, does the past matter in the present?)
5. What major events and actors can you connect to the conditions that produced the â€œArab Springâ€ uprisings? How have the uprisings and their aftermath impacted peopleâ€™s every day lives in Egypt and/or Syria? You should use examples from class lectures and films to support your points.
6. What are the impacts of cultural and ethnic diversity onthe middle East and North Africa? What is the impact of the diversity within Islam such as division between sunni and shiâ€™ireligious communities?