Assignment 4: “Informative Report â€“ Draft”
Choose a familiar household appliance (e.g., vacuum, toaster, hair dryer).
Write a one to two (1-2) page mechanism description (written in your own words) telling an audience of fifth graders in a science class how the appliance works. The document must include:
b. At least one graphic
c. A logical spatial order
In your document, you should:
- Ensure the document is clear and brief.
- Exercise logic in your design, including placement of headers and graphics.
- Use appropriate language for the audience and purpose.
- Follow the steps identified in the textbook.
- Cite source(s), including any graphics.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires use of new Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow SWS or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Explain ideas in proper format using accurate details and relevant examples.
- Design effective graphics for visual presentations.
- Use syntax, tone, and word choice appropriate to technical communications.
- Prepare reports, project requirements, and other various technical writing genres.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in technical writing.
- Write clearly and concisely about technical writing using proper writing mechanics.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic/organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric.
Please click here to view the grading rubric.