a. A brief overview of the UPS company (3 paragraphs max!)
b. Describe and discuss at least 3 technologies in-use at UPS (cite sources) c. Financially speaking (looking at each companies 10-K reports), discuss
how the two companies compare to each other in terms of income and
i. What are the three reportable segments of UPS?
d. Discuss UPS’s business of outsourcing supply chain management.
e. Discuss how technology plays a role in UPS’s International Package
f. Describe both UPS and FedEx competitive strengths. Which one is poised
to have the most growth over the next 5 years?
g. Discuss the FedEx Mobile suite of services. Does UPS have anything that
h. Imagine landing a new job–you are in charge of technology at the
WorldPort Warehouse. Name at least 4 items (technology-wise) that you
would want to know about right away.
1. What automotive company uses UPS as their parts supplier? Briefly describe
how they take advantage of UPS services.
2. What company setup shop right next to FedEx so they can quickly deliver their
perishable goods? What do they sell?
3. How many times is the average FedEx package scanned
4. Over the past 18 months, UPS has opened 12 new dedicated facilities on 4
continents. What are they dedicated to?
5. What does telematics do for UPS?
6. What does UPS Quantum View do for customers?
7. Which is bigger? The FedEx Memphis hub or the UPS WorldPort Hub? Provide
statistics in at least a one paragraph answer.
8. According to company financials, what was the total income and profit for each
company? Who did better in terms of profit as a percent of revenue?
9. How did Siemens help to expand the Worldport Hub?
10. What fine foods company has a warehouse next to the UPS WorldPort facility?
What do they keep there? How do they do it?
11. What is the name of the hand-held device that UPS drivers use? How does it
integrate with the UPS ERP system?