Please read each question below carefully and answer with as much detail as
you can. Your responses should be written in your own words and typed–any
outside sources should be cited within your response. Due to accessibility to
additional resources (i.e., time, textbook, internet) your responses should be
as thorough as possible.
1. Out of the following chemical communication systems, choose 3 to define and
provide one example of each.
Endocrine, autocrine, paracrine, neurocrine, pheromone, allomone.
2. How are hormones able to regulate their own activity? Provide an example of this
3. Support or argue against the following statement
Each hormone can bind to all hormone receptors to exert its physiological effects.
4. Describe the role of the pituitary gland in facilitating hormonal communication.
5. What is the H-P-A axis and what is its behavioral function?
6. List the four stages of sexual reproduction and be sure to include the terminology
specific to females at the second and third stages of sexual reproduction.
7. What is the lordosis posture?
8. Describe in detail the neural circuit regulating the lordosis posture, including the
roles of estrogen and progesterone in initiating the lordosis pathway.
9. Elaborate on the following statement and be sure to describe the subsequent
physiological effects :
Sex determination is the process of….
10. Design and describe an experiment that aims to measure a biological rhythm that
regulates locomotor activity for a rat that is exposed to external cues such as the
Earthâ€™s light-dark cycle. What happens if external cues are removed from the
experimental design? What happens if external cues are reintroduced to the
experimental design? Explain using the following terms: phase-shift, entrainment,
11. What are the stages of sleep? Be sure to describe each stage using the terms
â€œfrequencyâ€ and â€œamplitudeâ€
12. Describe the function of the basal forebrain in sleep. Be sure to describe the
neuroanatomical regions of the basal forebrain that are involved, the major
neurotransmitter system that the basal forebrain uses to regulate sleep, and how
the basal forebrain regulates sleep.
13. Describe the role of the Pontine system in regulating REM sleep.
Chapters 5, 12, and 14
Textbook:Behavioral Neuroscience by S. Marc Breedlove &Neil V. Watson
Publisher: Sinauer Associates is an imprint of Oxford University Press; 8 edition (September 13, 2016)