Your paper is a personal essay. Write an essay expressing your thoughts and
opinions about the killings of Mr. Floyd and Mr. Brook and the other issues raised in
the above essay. Approach the subjects and issues raised in whatever manner and
however you wish to address them. Also, address the following questions in your
Address these questions:
• What are your reactions to these events?
• Did you participate in any such events in Houston or elsewhere?
• Do you believe police brutality exists in the U.S.
• Are black American and other non-white Americans victimized by
discrimination from the police, the government, businesses, and white society
in general despite freedoms gained particularly from the Civil War
Amendments (13th, 14th, and 15th), the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s,
Civil Rights measure of the 1960s (Civil Rights Act of 1964, Voting Rights
Act of 1965, Fair Housing Act, and others)
• Is there racial bias in policing?
• Have you been the victim of discrimination by the police?
• Do you support, do your oppose, or do you no opinion about the goals and
beliefs of the “Black Lives Matters” movement that seeks equal justice and
treatment for black Americans and other minorities? Or do you believe their
claims are incorrect or exaggerated?
• Do you support the ideas postulated by protestors that police agencies across
the US should be “defunded” and whatever removed from police budgets be
rerouted to social service agencies?
• Do you support the ideas of protestors that the police should be less violent,
should cease using military tactics and equipment against citizens?
• Do you believe all monuments to Confederate leaders be taken down because
these men were racist and traitors to the United States?
• Demands are being made and considered by military leaders and some Senators
that U.S. military bases named after Confederate Army generals be renamed
because they were racists and traitors? (e.g., Fort Hood, Texas; Fort Polk,
Louisiana; Fort Benning, Georgia; Fort Lee, Virginia; etc.)
• The Confederate battle flag, the “Stars and Bars,” is being banned from public
display at sporting events such as NASCAR as a result of the protests and
demonstrations across the U.S. The National Collegiate Athletic Association
(NCAA) has expanded it Confederate flag to prevent any championship
events from being played in states “where the symbol has a prominent
• Many Southern states used to have the Stars and Bars as part of their flag.
Mississippi is the last state to have such a flag and is in the process of
removing the Stars and Bars from the flag. Is this ! or not? Is this symbol
offensive to you? Is it offensive to others (who, do you think, would be
• At the end of the essay I state that “(t)he protests sent a message to the nation.”
What message do you thing they sent? What message, if any, did you receive
from the protest in Washington, Minneapolis, Atlanta, and cities and towns
across the nation?