1. In this chapter, there is discussion of tensions between real and ideal culture in attitudes and practices linked to conventional attractiveness and honesty. Provide 2 other examples of where ideal and real cultures collide.
2. What is cultural capital? According to Bourdieu, what is the significance of cultural capital in society? How does one acquire cultural capital and does it have any connection to the progression of social class?
3. What role, if any, does the way people react to you play in the development of your personality and self image? How can these reactions of others influence what skills you develop?
4. Define the agents of socialization and which are the most important according to sociologists. In your opinion, which one of these agents have the most profound impact on the construction of our social self?
5. What are the characteristics of total institutions such as prisons and hospitals? How does the socialization in a total institution contrast from â€œcommonâ€ socialization?
600 words minimum for each question