04.04 Civil Rights: Assessment
Now that you are familiar with legislation and court decisions that have expanded civil rights, a local museum needs your help to create a small exhibit for the museum. Your exhibit will highlight how legislation and court decisions have impacted the exercise of civil rights in the United States, and why these changes are significant. The exhibit should include expository writing, with the purpose of informing, describing, and explaining. You may find it helpful to complete this Activity on Expository Writing before you begin.
- Select two from the following Supreme Court decisions that expanded civil rights:
- Brown v. Board of Education
- Gideon v. Wainwright
- Miranda v. Arizona
- Roe v. Wade
- Mapp v. Ohio
- Select two from the following legislative actions that expanded civil rights:
- 14th Amendment
- 15th Amendment
- 19th Amendment
- 24th Amendment
- 26th Amendment
- Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Voting Rights Act of 1965
- Research each decision and policy and find a picture to represent each one. Take notes on the background and outcome of each case or law. You may find the Virtual Library and this Research Activity helpful. Be sure to cite the sources the information and images you use in your exhibit in MLA Format.
- Choose a Web 2.0 tool to create a visual exhibit about your four events. There are many 21st century tools available for creating products in an online environment. Use the Web 2.0 tool of your choice to create a slideshow or video. To learn more and locate a tool to help you complete the assignment, visit the Web 2.0 tools area.For each event, include:
- an image to represent the case decision or legislation
- a minimum of one well-written paragraph explaining the background of the event
- the significance of the event to the expansion of civil rights
You may review this Example Image and Paragraph to help you format your exhibit.
- Check your exhibit for spelling and grammar.
Civil Rights 04.04 Assessment
Your assessment will be graded using the Exhibit Rubric.
- Complete the reading and activities for this lesson.
- Review your notes for this lesson.
- Complete and submit your Exhibit to 04.04 Civil Rights