Your Essay consists of five (5) essay questions. You must answer three (3) of the five (5) questions. When responding to your essay questions, keep in mind that they are essays and not short answer questions. Essays should be detailed and have resources to support factual based comments. Any quotations, specific information, and ideas drawn from your reading (including the textbook) must be cited and referenced in APA or Chicago/Turabian format. Each essay should be a minimum of 500-750 words (2-3 pages) in length, not including references.
Answer three (3) of the following by writing a comprehensive and detailed essay for each one. Answers should be 2-3 pages (500-750 words) each.
- Using information from the readings, write a comprehensive and detailed essay discussing the three most important factors in the Confederacy’s defeat in the Civil War. Be sure to defend your position.
- Write a comprehensive and detailed essay that answers the question of whether Reconstruction was a success or a failure. In the process, be sure to identify: the goals and policies of Johnson and the Radical Republicans; any successes (if you think there were any); and any failures.
- In a detailed and comprehensive essay, evaluate Abraham Lincoln as a leader during the Civil War. How did his presidential decisions influence the outcome of the war? What struggles did he face as a leader?
- What was the impact of the war upon freed people? Once slavery ended, what were the various opportunities opened to them and what were the struggles they faced?
- Analyze the generalships of Ulysses S. Grant and William T. Sherman during the last year of the war, and evaluate the plan for finally defeating the South and the impact of Grant’s generalship on the outcome of the war.
The exam should be double spaced in 12 point Arial font. Sources should be cited and referenced in either APA or Chicago/Turabian format.