With regard to research ethics when interviewing children, the most common issues raised in the introduction of interviews concern data confidentiality, the purpose of the study and of interviews, as well as the use of audio or video recording of the interviews. Less often, there are references to the voluntary character of the interviews, the right of children not to answer questions if they do not want to and the signing of consent forms. In any case, not all studies treat issues of research ethics in the same way and not all emphasize the same aspects of research ethics.
Using the general guideline from this weekâ€™s introduction, chose two key points from the ethical conduct list, then chose the topic you would like to apply those points to and create a mock podcast or a mock podcast transcript. Your audience for the podcast is final year psychology students who will undertake a case study with children under the age of 18.
Some points you may wish to consider in your podcast may be:
- How do you discuss non-conformity with children and adolescents?
- What are the ethical issues using under age participants in research when approaching gender development issues?
- When is parental concern necessary (consider country and the family religious or ethnic background even if it is not in the guidelines) in order to involve children in research?
Your podcast should include the following elements (at a minimum):
- The topic you would be discussing
- Introduction (for example, parental attitudes to proposed transgender bathrooms in elementary schools or cultural attitudes to girls boxing team)
- Case example to illustrate the issues and its ethical challenges
Using the Video Note tool in the assignment submission area, you will prepare your mock podcast. To create a video note, select the Record video option in the assignment submission area. You will need your webcam to complete this video. Press the New Recording button when you are ready to record your video note and the Stop Recording when finished. Click the Add button to include the video in your assignment submission.
Alternate assignment: If you do not have access to a webcam, prepare a mock podcast transcript covering the same topics noted above.
Length: 3-minute video or a 4-5 page transcript