YOU CAN MAKE UP THE INFO ABOUT MEETING WITH THE GROUP
Observe groupings used in a chosen classroom. Meet with the classroom teacher and have him or her share with you the data used to determine the groups.
Have a discussion about:
- Data to support groups.
- Progress monitoring/how often.
- Flexible groups: If the groupings are flexible groupings, inquire how the teacher determines movement to other groups.
- Lesson planning.
- Strategies used.
- Alternative small group instruction and the changes required (materials, amount of time) versus a general classroom setting.
- Communication with the current reading specialist/literacy coach.
- Use of instructional supports (staff, volunteer, etc.)
During the discussion with the teacher, share with them ideas, suggestions, and strategies which might support the reading needs in current groupings. The notes and information from this meeting will be used in your benchmark.