Reflect: In the Critical Literary Theories handout, four different kinds of critical approaches are presented. Consider which of the four theories you find most interesting as a means for understanding literature.
Write: Your initial post should be at least 200 words in length. The minimum word count does not include references. Choose two of those critical approaches and address the points below.
- Describe each critical approach in detail.
- Compare and/or contrast the two critical approaches. How are they different and similar?
- Determine which critical approach you find most useful for examining the conflicts and meaning in literature.
- Explain why you chose this particular approach as the most useful. Why does it appeal to you?
Respond to Peers: Respond to at least two of your classmates’ initial posts. Each response should be at least 75 words in length and should address two or more of the following points:
- Do you agree with your classmates’ perspectives? Why, or why not? Be specific.
- Ask a specific question to encourage further discussion on the topic.
- Challenge your classmates’ interpretation of literature and/or point of view.
- Do a small amount of research and share what you learn with your peers about the topic discussed in this post.