As a manager in a medical records department for a community hospital, you were asked to provide a presentation to health care providers on how to safeguard patients’ medical records and explain the legal reporting requirements. You were asked to include the following information:
- Discuss regulations relating to safeguarding health information.
- Explain the mandatory contents and legal obligation of providers to maintain accurate medical records.
- Explain patient and provider obligations to protect the privacy of health information.
- Describe the legal defense of an employee accused of mismanaging a patient’s health information.
- Describe a patient’s legal argument concerning the release of inaccurate information concerning their health to the public.
- Explain what is meant by legal reporting requirements.
- Identify three legal reportable events.