By Day 1 of Week One, your instructor will assign you a State to examine for this discussion. The ability to extract healthcare data from online databases is important to identify trends that can lead to better patient care. The Agency for HealthCare Research and Quality (AHRQ) provides a web based tool for extracting data presented in the National Healthcare Quality and Disparities Report. In this discussion you will query the database to find data from your assigned state.
- Identify the state you were assigned in your discussion post subject line.
- Go to the AHRQ website mentioned in the required resources section for this week. Click on “State View” and select the state you were assigned.
- Click on the link that says “Review Underlying Data”. Give two examples of measures for each of the categories below:
- Achieved the benchmark or better
- Close to achieving the benchmark
- Far from achieving the benchmark
- Include the three benchmarks in your initial post.
- Investigate one of the measures you noted above that are in the “far from achieving the benchmark” category.
- Look at the data tables and graphs. What trends do you see over time?
- How does your state compare to the total group? Be specific and provide the comparison data for all of the measures you noted above in your discussion. For example, “Florida’s breast cancer death rate was 21.50 compared to 23.5 in all populations”.
- What conclusions can you draw from the data you presented?