Healthcare data comes in many different forms and may be managed by individuals from many different departments. The concept of data stewardship is governed by the philosophy that the collection, viewing, storage, exchange, aggregation, and analysis of data is done within a system of accountability. This system is usually part of a larger quality management program. For this discussion, you will assume the role of a data steward for a large healthcare facility with multiple departments. In your initial post:
- Define/describe health data stewardship.
- In an acute hospital or a large provider practice, identify who should practice data stewardship and why.
- Describe specific practices suggested for data stewardship. Include a minimum of three best practices, explained in detail.
- Explain the importance of health data stewardship.
- As the health data steward, describe what will you do to ensure that PHI is put to appropriate uses and misuses are prevented.
- Describe how data stewardship has changed as the healthcare industry progresses to the electronic health record.