Assignment 2: Personal Exploration on Implicit Bias
One of the overarching themes in cross-cultural psychology is analyzing bias and applying critical thinking skills in understanding similarities and differences across cultures. In doing so, we come to appreciate the role of culture in shaping who we are and how we view the world. With this also comes bias, in both its everyday innocuous manifestations as well as its more insidious influences. All this happens at both a conscious and unconscious level.
In this Assignment, you explore your own implicit biases and reflect on your experiences and insights gained from your self-assessment.
- Review the Project Implicit website included in the Week 5 Learning Resources.
- Complete at least two Project Implicit demonstration tests from the website .
- Print a copy of the web page displaying your results and explanations to refer to as you write up your Personal Exploration.
By Day 7
Submit a 1-page personal reflection paper in which you do the following:
- Identify which Project Implicit demonstration tests you completed.
- Analyze what you thought you knew about your thoughts, feelings, perceptions, and attitudes about the particular test subjects before you took the tests.
- Compare your previous thinking with what you learned about yourself from the tests.
- Explain two insights you have gained from this experience about implicit bias and, specifically, how you will apply the insight(s) in situations involving cultures different from your own.
Note: Support the responses within your Assignment with evidence from the assigned Learning Resources. Provide a reference list for resources you used for this Assignment.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK5Assgn2+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name.
- Click the Week 5 Assignment 2 Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
- Click the Week 5 Assignment 2 link. You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as “WK5Assgn2+last name+first initial.(extension)” and click Open.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submit button to complete your submission.