Assignment 2: Develop a Procurement Strategy (20%)
Using the situation provided below, students will identify a strategy for each procurement.
Students are responsible for APA only for in-text citations and a reference list. Therefore, students will follow the instructions as stated below.
Required Formatting of Assignment 2:
- This assignment is NOT a paper. Complete the Procurement Strategy Worksheet in which you will indicate the best procurement strategy for each program and will provide a thorough explanation as to why you selected that procurement strategy.
- Third person writing is required. Third person means that there are no words such as “I, me, my, we, or us” (first person writing), nor is there use of “you or your” (second person writing). If uncertain how to write in the third person, view this link: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/first-second-and-third-person.
- Contractions are not used in business writing, so you are expected NOT to use contractions in writing this assignment.
- Include specific FAR paragraph references in your explanation
- Include a separate reference page.
- Submit the assignment in the Assignment Folder.
The expectation is that you provide a robust use of the course readings. No other books besides the course eBook can be used. When using a source document, the expectation is that the information is cited and referenced with a page or paragraph number.
You are the senior contracts team lead in a United States Government (USG) department. After a department meeting, your group was asked to review all the contracting activities that your department will be responsible for in the next year. You are to present your recommendations to the entire staff at the next meeting. Attending the meeting is the entire contract and procurement staff.
As you go down the list of approved business activities (that is, activities that will be completed via contracting and for which funding has been approved), you need to determine what types of procurements you will conduct. The decisions to make are:
- a sealed bid process, or
- a two-step sealed bid process, or
- a negotiated procurement.
Required Elements to include in the Situation –
In your response, you will discuss which strategy you would choose for each procurement and why.
Your programs are:
- Heating and cooling services around the buildings for the year
- T-shirts and hats with logos for the department softball league
- Redecorating and refurbishing a 3-story office building for your staff
- Maintenance of your department-owned emergency power generation system
- Paper and printer ink to be delivered monthly
- Computer hardware to upgrade 300 laptops for the mobile personnel in the IT Department
NOTE: All submitted work is to be your original work. You may not use any work from another student, the Internet or an online clearinghouse. You are expected to understand the Academic Dishonesty and Plagiarism Policy, and know that it is your responsibility to learn about instructor and general academic expectations with regard to proper citation of sources as specified in the APA Publication Manual, 6th Ed. (Students are held accountable for in-text citations and an associated reference list only).