In 2015, President Obama made history by becoming the first sitting president to visit a federal prison. A video clip can be found here: http://mashable.com/2015/07/16/president-obama-federal-prison/#FqU8dpbzagqP
- Review the purposes behind criminal punishment discussed in Chapter 11.
- Review the information found here: http://famm.org/sentencing-101/
- Review the “tough on crime” timeline found here: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/04/a-timeline-of-the-rise-and-fall-of-tough-on-crime-drug-sentencing/360983/
- Read the article linked here: http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/05/politics/obama-commutations-sentencing-reform/
Based on your research and utilizing the proper terminology from your textbook, answer the questions below:
- Do you believe that harsher punishments are necessary to deter crime? Why or why not?
- Do you support the President’s position on the need for sentencing reform? Why or why not?
- Do you think judges should have more discretion in determining sentences for drug-related crimes? Why or why not?