Step 1: Review the various Amendments and Articles in the U.S Constitution. https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution
Step 2: Name and define each of the five freedoms outlined in the First Amendment https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution-conan/amendment-1
give examples of ways you exercise each freedom – to the best of your ability focus on issues of Media, Technology, (Tele)Communications and Information Policy and the upcoming election.
Step 3: Reflect on the interplay of the Freedoms outlined in the 1st Amendment. Answer the following questions:
- Do you think any one of these freedoms could exist alone, without the support of the other four?
- Would free speech be a powerful right if we did not also have a free press?
- How would freedom to petition be different if we didn’t also have freedom of assembly?
- What are other examples of this interplay across Freedoms?
Step 4: Critically assess how these Freedoms impact you personally, and society as a whole. Answer the following questions:
- Given the rate and pace of technological change and current events such as the pandemic, civil unrest, white supremacy and the security of our elections, which of the Freedoms is the most valuable in your view? Why?
- Given the rate and pace of technological change and current events such as the pandemic, civil unrest, white supremacy and the security of our elections, are these Freedoms still applicable today? Do they serve their initial purpose?
- Are any of the Freedoms outdated, obsolete or no longer applicable? Can you think of an example where on Freedom is at odds with public good, or betterment of society?
Summarize and post summarize your answers in 2 to 3 paragraphs and post on the Discussion Post 2 Board Your Post should be clear and concise – don’t rant or ramble. Support your claims with examples and evidence and cite any sources that you use to support your claims. Next week you will be asked to respond to at least one other discussion post as part of the Discussion Post assignment.