Review chapter 10 in your textbook; answer the questions at the end of the chapter’s Discussion Box; “Domestic Preparedness and Weapons of Mass Destruction”
- 2-3 pages in length (excluding cover page, abstract, and reference list)
- Include at least 3 peer reviewed sources that are properly cited
- APA format, Use the APA template located in the Student Resource Center to complete the assignment.
- Please use the Case Study Guide as a reference point for writing your case study.
This chapter’s Discussion Box is intended to stimulate critical debate about preparedness and planning for the use of weapons of mass destruction by terrorists.
Domestic Preparedness and Weapons of Mass Destruction
The use of weapons of mass destruction by terrorists represents a threat scenario of extreme concern for policymakers and the general public. Weaponized chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear devices have the potential to cause widespread damage and mass casualties. Even in the event that the use of such weapons does not result in great loss of life or infrastructure damage, the mere use of these weapons would cause widespread fear and disruption. The challenge for policymakers is to determine the extent to which such an incident can be prepared for and mitigated.
1. How effective would urban emergency management systems be if a mass-casualty attack occurred?
2. Can emergency medical systems cope with mass-casualty attacks?
3. Which domestic security measures are acceptable in the aftermath of a mass-casualty attack?
4. Which domestic security measures are unacceptable in the aftermath of a mass-casualty attack?
5. Should federal authority be expanded to directly manage state and local emergency response systems?