Assignment 1: Effective Offender Supervision
Consider the following quotes:
- Statistics show that 97% of the 1.3 million inmates now in prison eventually will be released and will return to communities.
- . . . there is both a treatment-related component (reform) related to an offender’s prognosis and a public safety (likelihood of further criminal activity) component contained within an offender’s prognosis. Both must be considered simultaneously if the correctional agency is to fulfill its mission in a satisfactory manner.
By Saturday, October 15, 2016, in at least 300 words, post to the Discussion Area your answers to the following:
- What are the various components of effective offender supervision and treatment interventions?
- How do these components help improve an offender’s prognosis from initial assessment to ultimate reintegration? Consider the following offender profile:
- Convicted in 1972 of aggravated robbery, sentenced to 50 years, parole possibility in 1997, and mandatory release date in 2022
- Age 18 at the time of conviction
- Cocaine addict at the time of conviction
- Offender a victim of sexual abuse as a child as per the documentation in the case file