Group 2/Employee Evaluation
- In The Law of Health Care Administration, 9th Ed, read: Ch. 7 Liability of the Health Care Institution.
- The Tracks We Leave Ethics and Management Dilemmas in Healthcare, 3rd Ed.: Ch. 8 Nurse Shortage: Metropolitan Community Hospital
Part 1: Critical Analysis of the Law
- Evaluate and discuss the requirements of one of the following laws and how it applies in managing employees. What does a manager need to do or not do to comply with it?
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) overtime provisions
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) leave provisions
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Genetic Information Non-Discrimination Act (GINA)
- Sexual Harassment
- Evaluate one of the following tools for compliance in the evaluation and indicate how it would help limit risk. Discuss the pros and cons of it.
- Employee evaluation checklist
- Employee evaluation policies and procedures
- Corrective action policies and checklists
- Union clauses that impact employee evaluation, promotion, and appeal rights and impact how an employee was treated.
Part 2: Strategic Compliance with the Law
Evaluate the scenario in Ch. 8 Nursing Shortage: Metropolitan Community Hospital.
- What are the legal risks? What are risks specific to staff negligence and liability?
- What would management compliance tools (one) and processes (one) be incorporated in the organization to prevent this problem?
- Assume there is a nursing shortage. What employee retention tools(one) and processes(one) would you incorporate to improve nursing retention and minimize the likelihood of a negligence lawsuit?