Evolution of Human Services: Designing the Historical Context
[WLO: 1] [CLOs: 1, 3, 4]
Prior to beginning work on this learning activity, Read Chapter 2 in the assigned text and LoPatin-Lummis’ Protesting About Pauperism: Poverty, Politics and Poor Relief in Late-Victorian England, 1870-1900. If you want to dive further, check Loiacono’s A People’s History of Poverty in America in the Recommended Resources section this week.
Historically, poverty has been the impetus for developing a social welfare system and related policies. Beginning in the 11th century, create a timeline of the history and evolution of human services to current time. You are welcome to be as creative as you desire with graphics, and various tools, and so forth. If you have other presentation ideas, then please refer to your instructor to determine if the idea is acceptable.
- Create a six- to 10-slide PowerPoint with speaker notes: (see How to Make a PowerPoint Presentation (Links to an external site.) for assistance); or (
- Draw the timeline, annotate it with 350 to 500 words, scan, and then upload it; or
- Create a timeline collage annotated with 350 to 500 words with photos from magazines or scanned from books, online graphics, and so forth.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.) for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.
Waypoint Assignment Submission
The assignments in this course will be submitted to Waypoint. Please refer to the instructions below to submit your assignment.
- Click on the Assignment Submission button below. The Waypoint “Student Dashboard” will open in a new browser window.
- Browse for your assignment.
- Click Upload.
- Confirm that your assignment was successfully submitted by viewing the appropriate week’s assignment tab in Waypoint.
For more detailed instructions, refer to the Waypoint Tutorial (Links to an external site.).