Foundations of Effective Group Work
In the Unit 4 assignment, you convinced your principal that you are capable of leading an effective group. Now, imagine you are going to prepare to lead a counseling or psychoeducational group at your school site to improve academic outcomes.
If you will not be working in a school setting, please modify the instructions and make them applicable to your site. For example, if you would be in a community setting, you would present this to your supervisor instead of a principal. The core concepts should be the same.
For this assignment, state what grade level you will work with and explain the target population. Research the foundations of effective group work. Next, analyze what outcomes you would like to see and how you plan to achieve them by reviewing relevant scholarly sources. Your analysis should address the following points:
- Describe at least two theoretical foundations for group counseling and how you will operate from one orientation. Consider how this will be an effective framework when working in the school setting. (1â€“2 pages).
- Assess your own theoretical orientation for group work, including an examination of how the theory will benefit group counseling and group work.
- Consider different dynamics that may be associated with the group process and group development. Explain the initial, transition, working, and final stages of groups and what you might expect considering the grades you are working with. Synthesize approximately four concepts that may include, but are not limited to, trust, goals, resistance, fears, and self-disclosure. These are examples; it is up to you to decide which issues you would like to consider when thinking about possible group dynamics for this group. (1â€“4 pages.)
- Consider some ethical dilemmas and how you might apply our ethical standards, and demonstrate your synthesis of the standards and how you might apply them in a group setting. For example, you might address concerns around confidentiality in the school setting. Demonstrate your preparedness by addressing approximately three possible ethical dilemmas. References should be made to ACA, ASGW, or ASCA ethical standards in your review. (1â€“3 pages.)
- Describe your approach to forming the group, including how you will recruit, screen, and select members. Consider whom you might contact and how you will go about the process at your school site. (1â€“2 pages.)
- Describe your proposed intervention and how it may improve academic outcomes. Integrate how you might measure the effects of the group. For example, perhaps, you targeted working with students who were failing one course. You would state that your goals would be to have the students reengage in their academic achievement, demonstrated by earning at least a C the following quarter. (1â€“2 pages.)
Your assignment should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA format: Resources and citations are formatted according to current APA guidelines.
- Length: 5â€“13 pages.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.