The discussion assignment provides a forum for discussing relevant topics for this week based on the course competencies covered.
For this assignment, make sure you post your initial response to the Discussion Area by the due date assigned.
To support your work, use your course and text readings and also use outside sources. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
Start reviewing and responding to the postings of your classmates as early in the week as possible. Respond to at least two of your classmates. Participate in the discussion by asking a question, providing a statement of clarification, providing a point of view with a rationale, challenging an aspect of the discussion, or indicating a relationship between two or more lines of reasoning in the discussion. Complete your participation for this assignment by the end of week.
Health Problems among Teens and Young Adults
The course textbook An Introduction to Community Health refers to teens and their risky behaviors. The number of single parent households with children under the age of eighteen continues to rise. Unemployment is higher for teens and young adults, especially for minority populations. Health behavior and lifestyle choices are tested during this timeframe, with tobacco use, underage drinking, abuse of prescription illegal drugs, and risky sexual behavior. Teen violence and suicide are also a cause of concern to families and the community.
Based on your understanding of the topic, create a report in a Microsoft Word document answering the following questions:
- How do social and environmental factors affect teens and young adults making healthy or unhealthy decisions? How influential is the family environment?
- What motivates teens to form groups and how do negative behaviors increase when teens are involved in small or large gangs?
- What specific issues does the U.S. minority population face in terms of health issues, lack of healthcare, and risky behaviors?
- What specific type of community program would you develop if you were in charge of improving options for teens and young adults? What community members would you seek to speak with about your program proposal and how important is it to include influential community members who can help support legislation, space, or financial services to help a community program succeed?
- How will education reduce risk taking behaviors? What type of follow up and evaluation will you do to ensure a successful program?