Need help with my Health & Medical question – I’m studying for my class.
This is as much a reading task as a writing task. Here, you want to learn a bit about Carver’s piece, read the piece, and begin collecting evidence in a focused way to form an opinion and evaluate it. Before you even think about writing a review, you need to spend a good deal of time considering the evidence and coming up with reasons to support your evaluation. That’s what this is designed to help you do.
- First, consider the context for Carver’s writing.
- Spend a few minutes reading the wikipedia page (Links to an external site.) about Chef’s House. Feel free to follow any of the links and read any additional background information to help you understand the text.
- Now, write for a few minutes about what you know. What is the story about? What have people/critics said about it already?
- Read Carver’s piece slowly, preferably out loud, without taking notes.
- Spend a few minutes writing about what your opinion of the piece is. Do you like it? Why do you think you do or do not like it? Try to put that in terms of the evaluative criteria I have given you to use.
- Read Carver’s piece again and highlight or underline pieces of evidence.
- Find 3-5 moments/quotes in the text that support your evaluation of the piece according to each of the three criteria. Write those quotes out, and then write a few sentences explaining how those quotes support your evaluation.
- Try to identify any places in the text that do not support your evaluation. Write those quotes out, and then write a few sentences reflecting on if/how you will bring them up in your essay.
**Note to Students**
Just click “Reply” to this prompt and write your response there. There are no word restrictions on these. Just write whatever comes to mind for 10-15 minutes.