How did we get to where we are today with inclusive education? There are many different answers to this question. Depending upon the era that you examine you will discover how we arrived at this point in special education. One thing to keep in mind, however, is that inclusive education is where it is today because of a series of movements, policies, and laws that have been implemented in order to ensure the needs of each and every child. Meeting the educational needs of all children is of utmost importance and is the cornerstone of education. In this first discussion forum, you will learn about the history of inclusion.
To prepare for this discussion,
- Please refer to the Week One Guidance for further tips and examples that will support your success on this discussion.
- Read textbook Chapter 1: What is Special Education?
- Read Special Education Trends (Links to an external site.).
In your post,
- Describe the movement towards inclusive education, including historical policies and laws, and their relationship to effective teaching.
- Examine how policies and laws have influenced current trends for inclusive environments.
- Explain how understanding the history of inclusion will allow you to better meet the needs of the diverse learners you support.