HMSV 447 Relapse Prevention Plan
You will select one addiction related case scenario and develop a relapse prevention plan for the scenario. Within this 4 to 5 page plan, you will be required to identify signs and symptoms of abuse, outside referrals that may need to be made, risk and protective factors for the “client” and a plan for discharge.
You will select one (1) case scenario (see link in blackboard tab) and develop a relapse prevention plan for them after the client has successfully completed treatment.
Please note that this is a hypothetical scenario, so please feel free to elaborate on the scenario details to complete your assignment and demonstrate your knowledge of relapse prevention.
When completing your plan, use the headers below for each section and address each of the items in a written paragraph form, not using bullets.
A. Description of the Problem (1-2 paragraphs):
· Description of client: What is your client’s name/age? Race/ethnicity? Where do they live? Who do they live with?
· What is your consumer’s drug of choice and what classification of drug is this?
· How often does your consumer abuse their drug of choice? What is their method of usage?
B. Signs and Symptoms of Abuse:
· Identify the signs and symptoms of abuse that manifested in your case scenario.
· Once identified, discuss the onset of these symptoms and how they affect the client’s daily functioning.
. For example: Johnny presents with symptoms of alcohol addiction as evidenced by memory blackouts, morning usage etc.
C. Referrals and Goals
· For your identified signs and symptoms of abuse,
· Identify two (2) goals you would like the client to accomplish AFTER THEY HAVE COMPLETED SERVICES
Johnny will participate in Narcotics Anonymous meetings 2-4x weekly; he will provide weekly attendance sheets to verify attendance.
Susan will be referred to a job coach in order to develop necessary skills to sustain gainful employment.
· Identify a minimum of three (3) referrals that would help your client maintain sobriety.
· Referrals include but are not limited to the following:
1. Referrals to domestic violence shelters
2. Health clinics
3. Support groups
4. Mentoring programs
5. Grief and loss groups
6. Individual/family counseling
7. Parenting education
8. Mental health treatment (for clients with mental health and substance needs)
· Then discuss why each referral would be appropriate for your client. (THIS SHOULD BE A NARRATIVE)
D. Risk and Protective Factors (2-3 Paragraphs):
· Discuss the risk and protective factors that could support and/or decrease addiction and recovery. Do not just list these factors but discuss how they support or hinder addiction/recovery
· What risk factors that could support addiction does the client present with?
1. Family history of addiction
2. Lack of housing, food, basic needs
3. Suicidal history
4. Unstable living arrangements
5. History of failed attempts
6. Medical needs?
7. Manipulative behaviors
8. Criminal history
9. Enabling family/friends
10. History of overdose
11. Mental illness
12. Risky behaviors (prostitution etc.)
13. Denial of addiction
· What protective factors that could support recovery does the client present with?
1. Children they wish to care for
2. Supportive family member
3. Acceptance of their addiction and a desire to recovery
4. Limited or no income to support their addiction.
5. Meaningful relationships
6. History of attending community-based support groups (NA/AA)
7. History of obtaining sobriety
E: Plan for Discharge/Relapse Prevention (1-2 PARAGRAPHS):
· As the human service professional and once aftercare has been terminated, what recommendations would you recommend?
1. Continue community-based support group
2. Return to treatment (Tx) if needed
3. Continue family counseling to address childhood issues with parents/siblings
4. Continue to participate in medical treatment for medical issues
5. Remain in mental health treatment
Rubric: Please review the assignment rubric before beginning this assignment to ensure you address all required areas.
Length: this assignment is required to be a between 4-5 pages (not including title and reference pages)
All materials submitted for evaluation will be assessed on their adherence to assignment guidelines, grammar, style, clarity, and depth of reflectiveness. Grammar, spelling, and use of APA style are mandatory. Poor grammar usage, lack of APA style, or misspelled words will seriously detract from your grade.
Submissions must adhere to APA style guidelines. This includes the following:
1. A title page
2. 1-inch margins
3. 12-point font (Times New Roman or Arial)
4. Double space
5. Reference page
6. Page Numbers