(1) How did the appearance and rise of a new class of
individuals in West African coastal communities allied to the European slave
trade contribute to this process of enslavement? And what name did Rodney give
this new group?
(2) How did the fragmented structure and small size of many
West African societies who were too small and vulnerable to protect themselves
from slave raiders contribute to the process? Your answer must provide specific
examples from the reading.
(3) How did the corruption of the old African systems of
government by the new breed of local African entrepreneurs (businessmen) tied
to and working on behalf of the global capitalist market contribute to the
process? Your answer must provide specific examples from the readings.
(4) How did the growth in the influence of European slave traders
and European slave trading companies like the Royal Africa Company and the
Dutch West India Company contribute to this process?
(5) How did constant warfare fuelled by the TAST contribute
to this process?