These are the materials you will need for this course:
· Swanson, C., Chamelin, N., Territo, L., & Taylor, R.Criminal Investigation, 11th Edition, McGraw-Hill
1. What is sudden infant death syndrome and is it a crime?
2. What is the difference between a coup and contrecoup injury on a child?
3. Distinguish between amateur and professional bank robbers regarding violence.
1. In a traffic stop, distinguish how a person may be arrested for possession of burglary tools as opposed to regular tools when the stop is not made at the site of a burglary.
2. How is “white collar crime” different from other crime and which one usually warrants a higher sentence?
3. Heavy equipment has a much lower recovery rate than cars and trucks. What is the main reason for the lower rate of recovery?
The book for this course isCriminal-Law-OER.pdf
1. What is meant by the “Substantial Steps Test” under the Model Penal Code? Why was it created and what was the intent? List and describe the two parts of the Substantial Steps test. Give an example of a this test is applied to the actions of a person attempting to commit a criminal offense.
2. Define what is meant by “legal impossibility” and “factual impossibility” Can both of these defenses function as a defense to an attempt crime? Give an example of each.
1. Define and describe the term Corpus Delicti. What does this term mean in regards to the burden of the prosecution? How does corpus delicti affect a criminal prosecution for muder if the body of the victim is not located?
2. What is menat by the term “felony murder”? Describe the difference between murder and felony murder. What is the specific section in the Texas Penal Code that describes felony murder? What is the punishment for murder and felony murder in the Texas Penal Code?
1. What is the attendant circumstance element of rape and what kind of defense is possible for the accused?
2. Proving lack of consent in rape cases has two components. What are they? Give some examples of conditions or circumstances which might affect the first component.List and describe the situations that might affect the second component.
3. Describe the difference between early common law corroborative evidence needed to meet the burden of proof for the elements of rape and what is required in the modern day. Does the difference make it easy to achieve a conviction in modern day prosecutions?
4. What is meant by “rape shield laws”? What was the purpose of rape shield laws? What type of evidence do rape shield laws prohibit? Provide examples.
Creating Complaints and Affidavits
Your writing project will be to create create five (5) complaints and affidavits based on specified sections of the Texas Penal Code. Each will be worth 30 points for a total of 150 points. A template for these assignments will be provided and detailed instructions and a video explaining how to complete these are provided here.
Sample Assignment Submission – With Relevant Section of Penal Code.pdf
Sample Student Submission -Template for Complaint and Affidavit.pdf
Here is a short video of Lorenz explaining proper citation of a criminal offense in the Texas Penal Code.
Proper Citation Felony Murder
Here is a short video of Lorenz demonstrating how to open and use the template for the complaint and affidavit and how to submit this assignment.
How To Create Complaint and Affidavit Assignment
· Offense # 1 – Deadly Conduct – 22.05(b)(2).rtf (44.317 KB)
Offense # 1 Assignment
Use the attached template to create a Complaint and Affidavit for the following Texas Penal Code Citation.
Penal Code Section– Deadly Conduct 22.05(b)(2)Officer– Use your own name for the officer.Victim– (If needed) Use a fictitious character from a favorite movie or book.Suspect– Use a fictitious character from a favorite movie or book.
These are the materials you will need for this course.
· Walker, Samuel & Katz, Charles,The Police In America, An Introduction, 9thEdition, McGraw Hill
1. As the police chief of a department that is overwhelmed by 9-1-1 calls, you have decided to implement the new 3-1-1 call system. What calls will be placed in the low-priority category? Which will receive top priority? How would you treat a ‘suspicious noise’ call or a ‘nose next door’ call?
2. Discuss the research findings on the impact of mandatory arrest for misdemeanor domestic violence.
1. Discuss what a hate crime is. Do you believe that police agencies should police ‘hate’? If yes, how would they do this?
2. Many of you have probably received DARE raining while in elementary school. Briefly discuss your own experience with DARE and why DARE has continued to be used in classrooms across the country.
1. Discuss whether you think ‘racial profiling’ takes place in your neighborhood, and how it has possibly impacted the relationship between the police and the community.
2. Discuss the issues associated with assigning officers on the basis of race or ethnicity. Be specific in your response