In this Assignment, you will develop your own strategic career plan for starting your new career as an NP. There are many steps that need to be accomplished. Use the following guidelines to design your career plan. You do not need to include references. This is a plan that you may layout how you wish. Be creative, and really think about what you desire as a nurse practitioner. As everyone will have different goals, there are no right or wrong answers in this plan.
- It is time to take inventory and ask yourself some questions. What is your career vision? Be specific and honest. Where do you want to work? What are your short term and long term goals (give timeline). What are the most important things you are looking for? Discuss your desires for salary, vacation, sick leave, CME allowance, medical benefits, retirement, etc. Perhaps you have a niche such as managing chronic diseases in patients over 65 years old.
- Next, describe your ideal work situation. Is it a rural clinic or major trauma center? Who is your target patient population? Do you have a passion for a particular population or specialty? What schedule do you want? What are the priorities in your career right now? Where do you see your career in five years?
- How do you plan on researching opportunities (whether looking for employment or independent practice site)? List several methods such as job fairs, the Web, and medical employment agencies.
- Networking is essential for todayâ€™s healthcare provider. Discuss your networking ideas. What Internet resources might you use to network and connect with other healthcare providers?
- How will you prepare for the interview? What specific steps will you take?
- Imagine you are starting your own practice. What population will it serve? How will you market your practice? What personnel will you need to hire? How will you obtain funding? Will you be open extended hours to meet the needs of working patients? Will you be the sole provider, or will you hire other providers?
To view the Grading Rubric for this Assignment, please visit the Grading Rubrics section under Course Resources.
Before finalizing your work, you should:
- be sure to read the Assignment description carefully (as displayed above)
- consult the Grading Rubric (under Course Resources) to make sure you have included everything necessary
- utilize spelling and grammar check to minimize errors
Your writing Assignment should:
- follow the conventions of Standard English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.)
- be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful
- display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics
- use APA 6th Edition format for organization, style, and crediting sources. Refer to the APA Progression Ladder.