Assignment: Inheritance Lab
Have you noticed any similarities among you and your parents or other relatives? Even if you do not know your biological parents, you can guess some of their physical characteristics based on your own physical characteristics or phenotypes. You can do this by applying Mendelian genetics.
For your Assignment, complete the Inheritance Lab in which you identify your phenotypes for several physical characteristics such as the presence of dimples or a widow’s peak. Then, infer your possible genotypes, as well as your parents’ possible genotypes.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review Chapter 7, “Are You Only as Smart as Your Genes?” (pp. 141-155) in the course text and consider what Mendelian genetics is and how you can determine genotypes based on phenotypes and vice versa.
- Review the Inheritance Lab Background document (see the link in the Required Resources section), focusing on the phenotypes you observe for the Inheritance Lab and how to identify genotypes associated with those phenotypes.
- Review the lab instructions in the Inheritance Lab Report (see the link in the Required Resources section), focusing on the steps you must follow and the information you must complete in the report. You may complete this report by hand as you complete the lab; however, by Day 7, you submit an electronic version of this document for your Assignment.
NOTE: You do not need to purchase any materials to complete this lab.
Complete the Inheritance Lab Report.
Questions about this Assignment? Post the questions in the Contact the Instructor area, so all class members may benefit from the Instructor’s response.
Refer to the Week 4 Assignment Rubric for grading details.
By Day 7
Following the instructions below, submit your Assignment. In order to receive full credit, all assignments are due on time. Should you encounter an unanticipated and uncontrollable life event that may prevent you from meeting an Assignment deadline, contact the Instructor immediately to request an extension. Contact information for your Instructor can be found under the Contact the Instructor area. For a full description of the late policy, please refer to the “Policies on Late Assignments” section of your Syllabus.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK4Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name.
- Click the Week 4 Assignment Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
- Click the Week 4 Assignment link. You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as “WK4Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” and click Open.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submit button to complete your submission.