Option #1: Intelligence Gathering Using a TIME Analysis
Intelligence gathering and understanding an organization’s current situation and potential for innovation as dependent on external forces is important. Conduct a TIME (technology, industry, market, and events) analysis of a local organization. See the link in the Module folder. Review Chapter 4 and Figure 4.1 to complete the assignment:
Identify a local organization that you know well or would like to know well.
- Review and list the products and/or services currently offered by the organization.
- Provide an overview of the technology that the organization uses to compete. Is the technology a product or is the technology an external variable? What information about technology would a project manager need to develop or improve a current product?
- Provide an overview of the industry in which the organization competes. Who are the competitors?
- Select one of Porter’s five forces and apply the selected force to analyze the organization’s position in the industry.
- Provide an overview of the market served by the organization. Select one factor to show the specific data you would gather about market segmentation.
- Provide an overview of trends facing the company. What trends might impact this product? How might these trends impact the success of the product?
- Determine if the organization uses a market needs or a technology-driven approach. Support your answer.
- Summarize the TIME analysis in table format.
- Write a four- to six-page paper, not including the tile and reference page which are required.
- At least four to six scholarly, peer-reviewed references that provide information and guidance for your assignment. The CSU-Global Library (Links to an external site.) is a good place to find these sources.
- Outside sources include academic and research other than the textbook, course materials, or other information provided as part of the course materials.
- Follow the formatting outlined in the CSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA (Links to an external site.).