First, read your textbook chapter 8. For this particular assignment, remember to pay special attention to the topics about language. Then, be sure to read the article “Evolution News – Do Animals Have Language?” and watch the video “Khan Academy- Animal Communication“
A fairly large number of people believe that animals have language abilities. Most scientific data on the point, however, indicate that animals communicate, but do not use a complicated system of symbols and syntax to convey ideas. Write your critical thinking assignment and answer all of the questions below:
- Is there a difference between language and communication? Elaborate……
- Do you believe that animals have language?
- If so, what specific species?
- Why or why not? What research is there to back up your belief?
- Why do you think humans have such well-developed language abilities?
Instructions & Grading Rubric
- Responses for all Critical Thinking Assignments should be approximately 500-600 words. This word count is for the body of your paper only and does not include any abstract and/or reference list. You can use Microsoft Word to help you do a word count.
- Be sure to include scholarly content in your response and properly attribute credit to your sources in APA format (use the APA links provided to help you). I am particularly looking for your proper use of in-text citations, use of scholarly content (not just your textbook…use other sources also!), and your inclusion of a works-cited/reference list.
- See Critical Thinking Assignment Rubric attached to understand how you will be graded for all Critical Thinking Assignments.