Jane Addams, “Why Women Should Vote,” (1910, 1915)
http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/disp_textbook_pri… (Links to an
DUE: SUNDAY, APRIL 9 AT NOON
Please answer the following questions in an informal 1 1⁄2 – 2-page essay:
- Why did Jane Addams believe that women should have the right to vote?
Were her arguments in favor of women’s voting rights similar to or different from those
of other suffragettes?
- Who was Addams trying to reach with this editorial?
Was Addams’s position on women’s suffrage consistent with Progressivism? Why?
Please conclude your essay with at least one question for discussion. Choose a
question that you think will both enlighten and enliven your discussion section.
Once you have finished the essay, please upload it to Canvas by the deadline above.
Grades for this essay will be based on the following criteria:
Does the student answer each of the questions in a satisfactory and convincing
- Does the student include evidence to support his/her interpretations?
- Has the student carefully read and thought about the text and its significance?
- Has the student considered the broader context of the source(s)?
- Has the student clearly communicated his/her ideas?