Public administration is an essential link between citizens and governments. With the rapid pace of globalization, the public sector is under even greater pressure to increase its capacity to deal with the new challenges and opportunities that globalization presents. The relationship between globalization and governance is multidimensional. States or countries with high levels of integration with the rest of the world tend to have better governance outcomes on the whole. Of course, the quality of governance can be directly related to the social and economic integration between states. The gross domestic product (GDP) per capita, religion, natural resources, fractionalization, and government size largely decide the outcomes.
Like globalization, governance can be conceived broadly or narrowly. How does globalization affect macroeconomic policymaking?
In this assignment, you are expected to select one country and do the following:
- Discuss a significant issue or challenge arising from globalization that has taken place in the last 3–5 years.
- Critically evaluate the current policy or policies for the issue or challenge.
- Consider possible alternatives.
- Advocate a particular policy choice and provide a rationale.
Use the Internet to conduct research for this assignment. Here are two resources to get you started:
- Read the article titled Globalization and Governance: Definition, Variation, and Explanation [PDF].
- Review the website, Tips on Writing a Policy Memo.
Write a 1–2 page paper in which you do the following:
- Provide an introduction and context for the issue or challenge.
- Summarize what the existing literature says about the selected issue or challenge and the selected country’s policies impacting the issue.
- Suggest two policy options that the selected country’s government could follow in order to resolve the issue or challenge.
- Recommend one policy action based on your analysis of a set of alternatives. Provide a rationale for your recommendation.
- Provide at least three reliable, relevant, peer-reviewed references (no more than one used previously), published within the last five years that support the paper’s claims.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Prepare policy actions and options with consideration for a country’s policies and government.