Benchmark – Literacy Beyond the Classroom
For this assignment, you will use the knowledge you have gained in this course to create a digital presentation describing five at-home activities for developing language, literacy, and communication skills that are appropriate for children described in the provided “1st grade Class Profile.”
Design a 10-15 slide digital presentation to show to parents that explains five at-home activities that can be used to develop language, literacy, and communication skills, based on the ELA standards, for their child. Your presentation should include a title slide, references slide, detailed speaker’s notes, and include the following:
- Title and brief description of each activity. Each activity should be developmentally appropriate and engaging. Include two activities to develop reading skills, two for writing skills, and one for speaking skills. Include 1-2 adaptations for children who may be struggling in each area, as well as 1-2 adaptations for those who are above grade level, based on data from the “Class Profile.”
- The activities should teach cross-disciplinary knowledge and skills such as critical thinking and problem solving.
- A research-based explanation of how each activity will benefit the children, relating it back to the data provided in the “Class Profile.”
- Ways that each activity can be remediated for students with development delays, as well as how it can be enriched for gifted students, based on the needs of students outlined in the “Class Profile.”
- A closing slide summarizing key points in your presentation.
Although you will be making instructional choices based on data from the “Class Profile,” remember not to call out individual children or use children’s names in this parent presentation.
Support your information with 3-5 scholarly resources.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the LopesWrite Technical Support articles for assistance.
Program competencies and national standards assessed in the benchmark assignment:
COE 2.5: Use strategies to enhance language development and communication skills of individuals with exceptionalities. [CEC 5.4; InTASC 2(e)]
COE 3.7: Use data to select, develop, and adapt learning experiences for individuals with exceptionalities that are reflective of their abilities, interests, and cultural, and linguistic factors. [CEC 5.1; InTASC 1(b), 7(b)]
COE 3.8: Use augmentative and alternative communication systems and a variety of assistive technologies to support the communication and learning of individuals with exceptionalities. [CEC 5.3; InTASC 3(h), 8(h); ISTE 1d]
COE 3.10: Teach cross-disciplinary knowledge and skills such as critical thinking and problem solving to individuals with exceptionalities. [CEC 5.7; InTASC 5(a), 7(h)]