Literary Techniques and Their Connection to Conflict in Literature
Read the required materials and review the handout Plot, Theme, and Conflict. All stories have a theme that forms the plot. Also, literary elements and techniques contribute to creating and highlighting the theme. In this discussion you will
- Choose a story from the textbook.
- Describe the core conflict represented in the story.
- Describe the theme of the story.
- Select three literary elements/techniques in the story and describe them.
- Explain how the elements/techniques illustrate the theme and conflict expressed in the story.
As you consider these questions and begin answering them, incorporate readings found in Chapters 4-7 to help illustrate the points you make. Your initial post should be at least 200 words in length. The minimum word count does not include references.
Guided Response: Respond to at least two of your classmates’ initial posts. Each response should be at least 75 words in length and should address two or more of the following points:
- Do you agree with your classmates’ perspectives? Why, or why not? Be specific.
- Ask a specific question to encourage further discussion on the topic.
- Challenge your classmates’ interpretation of literature and/or point of view.
- Do a small amount of research and share what you learn with your peers about the topic discussed in this post.