Machine learning in Healthcare, what are the positive implementation impacts, unintended consequences, and challenges involved in machine learning in clinical decision support systems.
This is a research paper/essay assignment – you are not expected to conduct a research study (e.g., experiment or survey) BUT you are expected to support your ideas/arguments by consulting and citing credible and relevant scholarly literature. Cite at least 10 credible and peer-reviewed sources published in the last 5 years as evidence â€“ this may include the 5 resources you identified for your Annotated Bibliography. By no means should the paper be a simple summary or review of the literature. Instead, it should demonstrate your ability to critically analyze the topic or problem area.
Parts of the Paper
Your paper should address the following content requirements. Below are guide questions to help you frame your paper – do not answer the questions in a lock-step fashion â€“ write a comprehensive, cohesive and research-based paper to demonstrate your understanding of â€œHealth Informaticsâ€.
- Introduction (no more than 500 words) â€“ Provide a high-level overview of your research paper.
- Research Focus: Briefly describe what your paper is about.
- Research Questions/Objectives: List 2-3 research questions your paper seeks to address.
- Significance – What is the significance of this area of investigation? What gaps in knowledge does your paper fill? Support your ideas with concrete and detailed facts, data or evidence from the research literature and provide adequate foregrounding.
- Discussion (This section should be substantive and well-supported, and the longest section of your paper — at least 2000 words) â€“ Develop this section as you see fit making sure you address all your main research questions. Fully develop your points and support your ideas with specific and concrete details. In your discussion, I will be looking for evidence that you understand concepts, theories and principles related to health informatics. You should also be able to demonstrate the ability to examine issues related to health informatics critically and substantively and draw support for your analysis from peer-reviewed research. Organize your ideas logically and use good transitions to aid your reader. Also, use subheadings to identify each sub-section and make it easier for your reader to follow your arguments.
- Conclusions and Implications for Future Research (no more than 500 words) â€“ Summarize your findings and present some implications for future research.
- Lessons Learned (no more than 200 words) â€“ Discuss at least three main things you learned from completing this course and how this will help you in your career.
- List of References â€“ You are expected to use at least 10 credible or peer-reviewed sources to support your ideas (you may have more than this number, but 5 of these resources should have been published in high quality peer-reviewed journals within the last 5 years).
Cite all sources in-text and with a list of references using APA 6th format. Review your citations carefully â€“ make sure they have the complete bibliographic information required and are formatted correctly using APA style.
- Length: 3000 to 4000 words.
- This word count does not include the bibliography or any figures or tables presented.
- This is not a hard and fast requirement. You may go over the upper limit â€“ as long as your additions are substantive and critical to supporting your main arguments. Donâ€™t just add words to fill the space. No FLUFF or Blah, blah, blah please!
- Be direct to the point and do not include superfluous information that does not move your argument forward or that does not add anything meaningful to your paper.
- Be original â€“ demonstrate your ability to connect theory and practice. Do not use a lot of direct quotations except when these are particularly unique and relevant/important. I am interested in your ideas, how you are able to make connections between theory and practice and how you are analyzing and synthesizing the evidence to support your ideas.
- Support your main points with detailed and specific evidence from credible sources and peer-reviewed research.
- When providing supports for specific points, cite your sources within your narrative using the author-date system (APA 6th format for in-text citations).
- Also, at the end of your document, provide a List of References â€“ a list of all the sources you cited in the text. Again, format your citations using APA 6th citation style.
- Do NOT use footnotes â€“ weave all relevant information and supporting evidence within your main narrative.
- Other formatting requirements:
- Documents should be single-spaced within paragraphs and double-spaced between paragraphs.
- Margins should be set to 1″ on all sides.
- Text should be 11-12 pt font
- Include a Title page.
- A Table of Contents is optional but helpful for more complex papers that have many parts and sub-parts.
- Use descriptive and helpful headings and subheadings for each main section or sub-section. At the very least, use the suggested headings for each main part outlined in these guidelines.
- Organize your ideas logically and make sure you are able to connect your ideas using good transitions between paragraphs and sections.
- Where appropriate, present data visually via tables, graphs, etc.
- Number consecutively and provide a descriptive label or caption for each table, graph, or image you use in your proposal. Also, make sure you refer to these in the text (do not just provide a graphic without explaining what it is in within the text).
 Again, you are not expected to conduct a research study or write research proposal. These sources should give you an idea of the type of research paper you are supposed to write: https://writing.ku.edu/research-papers and https://www.esc.edu/online-writing-center/resources/research/research-paper/