Assignment: Mitosis, Meiosis, and Mutation
All living organisms are composed of cells. Earlier in the course, you explored cell structure and function. This week, you learn about how cells replace themselves and pass on their genetic traits. The cells in your body undergo a type of cell division known as mitosis to replace damaged cells and to enable you to grow. In order to reproduce, human beings and most animals use another type of cell division, meiosis. For this week’s Assignment, you complete a virtual lab in which you explore mitosis and meiosis, then learn about the impact a mutation may have on either of these processes. Next, you examine tissue samples in a virtual biopsy lab and write a lab report based on your analysis.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Focus on the following as you review Chapter 6 “Cancer” in the course text and log on to MasteringBiology to view the BioFlix Animations “Mitosis” and “Meiosis”:
- How mitosis and meiosis compare and contrast
- What a mutation is
- What cancer is and what causes it
- The causes and effects of various mutations
Download the Biopsy Lab Report.
Complete the Cellular Reproduction: Mitosis, Meiosis, and Mutation Virtual Lab and the Biopsy Lab Report. The virtual biopsy lab samples are located at the end of the Acquired Mutations section of the Virtual Lab.
The following schedule outlines your assignments and due dates for this week’s Assignment.
Due ByAssignmentDay 5Complete the Cellular Reproduction: Mitosis, Meiosis, and Mutation Virtual Lab. Begin to fill out the Biopsy Lab Report as you complete the virtual biopsy within the Virtual Lab.Day 7Complete the Biopsy Lab Report and submit it as your Assignment.
By Day 5
Complete the Cellular Reproduction: Mitosis, Meiosis, and Mutation Virtual Lab. See the Required Resources section for the link to this activity.
- Complete the knowledge checks at the end of each section of the virtual lab. These help you prepare for the graded Self-Assessment Quiz and the Weekly Exam you complete this week.
- Print and save the Biopsy Lab Report document from the Cellular Reproduction: Mitosis, Meiosis, and Mutation Virtual Lab. You may complete this report by hand as you complete the biopsy lab; however, by Day 7, you submit an electronic version of this document for your Assignment.
- Fill out the appropriate sections of the Biopsy Lab Report as you complete the biopsy lab. You may complete the analysis and conclusion sections of the lab report after you exit the virtual lab.
By Day 7
- Submit the completed Biopsy Lab Report for your Assignment.
Questions about this Assignment? Post the questions in the Contact the Instructor area, so all class members may benefit from the Instructor’s response.
Refer to the Week 3 Assignment Rubric for grading details.
Following the instructions below, submit your Assignment. In order to receive full credit, all assignments are due on time. Should you encounter an unanticipated and uncontrollable life event that may prevent you from meeting an Assignment deadline, contact the Instructor immediately to request an extension. Contact information for your Instructor can be found under the Contact the Instructor area. For a full description of the late policy, please refer to the “Policies on Late Assignments” section of your Syllabus.