NUR3561CBE Practice Excellence Through Innovation
Deliverable 7: Assess, Diagnose, Prioritize and Propose
- Describe a culture of excellence in nursing.
- Analyze an innovation that led to a redesigned process or product.
- Identify sources for innovative ideas.
- Determine traits of successful innovators.
- Design an innovative proposal for healthcare that includes strategies for implementation.
- Disseminate key components of an innovative proposal for a target audience.
You, a Nurse Manager on a Progressive Care Unit in an 800 bed privately owned Magnet Hospital, were asked to join a Project Innovation Committee as the nursing representative. Members of the Committee include CEO of the Hospital, CNO for the Hospital, Director of Medical Services, Director of Pharmacy Service, Custodial Staff Supervisor and an at large member of the public from the surrounding community. The purpose of the Committee is to share innovative practice ideas to keep the facility on the cutting edge of advances within healthcare while increasing the number and quality of services provided to the surrounding community. Each member performs a quarterly needs assessment within their department and shares a poster presentation of a priority innovative practice proposal at the annual shareholder meeting.
In two months you will present the innovative practice proposal based on the following data. Design the innovative proposal based on your assessment of the priority area of need.
- Quarterly retention rates for graduate nurses within a six month period from hire is down 6%.
- Nurses positions open = 180, applicants for open positions 28.
- Nursing satisfaction with job decreased 8%.
- Number of nurses projected to retire within six months = 47.
- Increase of 18% in medication errors.
- The overall average for readmission rates have increased by 5%.
- Overall client satisfaction with nursing care, decreased 7%.
- Option for tuition reimbursement to obtain BSN or advanced nursing degree tabled for consideration in the next fiscal year.
The Innovative Practice Proposal must be included as a Poster on a PowerPoint Slide and include:
- Description of the innovation
- Purpose of innovation based on needs assessment
- A detailed outline of the proposed innovation
- Relevancy of innovation including at least one resource to support the innovative proposal
- Description of risks and benefits of the implementation
- Barriers and Facilitators to the implementation of the innovation
- Sustainability of the innovation
- For more information on health care innovation, please visit Exemplars of Innovation in Practice
- For assistance on creating professional poster presentations, please visit the Library and Learning Services Answers page: What do I need to know about professional poster presentations?
For additional PowerPoint Poster ideas and templates, please visit the
MakeSigns Scientific Poster PowerPoint Templates page