- Place name on top left or right corner of paper
- No single word responses
- At least 50+ words in each response to questions
- Give questions some thought and answer honestly and sincerely
- Give examples to explain what you mean
- Mr. CO
- 75 year old male
- Admitted with pulmonary fibrosis
- As you are going towards the room to administer medications you hear his son say to him in a nasty tone of voice: â€œStop being so stubborn. I need you to give me access to your bank accounts. Youâ€™re going to die alone unless you start cooperating.â€
- As you enter he room, the son leaves quickly
- You notice the patient has tears in his eyes
- You ask â€œIs everything okay?â€
- Patient shakes his head yes. Remains nonverbal
- You give the medications and leave the room
- Did you notice any signs of elder abuse? If so, what types of elder abuse were noted?
- What signs, (in the scenario) if any suggest that the nurse should ask some follow up questions?
- As a nurse in this scenario what is your next action?
- What actions would you NOT take?
- What if the patient said â€œNOâ€ when you asked if everything was okay?
- What questions would you ask to complete a nursing assessment?
- What is your emotional response to the thought of caring for an older adult who has been mistreated?
- What would you do to conduct a clinical assessment for screening and detection of elder mistreatment
- What are general warnings signs of elder abuse?
- How can older adults protect themselves from ever becoming victims of abuse or mistreatment?
You are viewing social media at home when you notice one of your coworkerâ€™s posts. The post is complaining about an elderly patient on your unit. The post reveals that the patient has Alzheimerâ€™s disease and is â€œcrazyâ€ and states â€œI canâ€™t wait until she is transferred out of here and back to Comfort Care Homes. After this shift, you will find me at the bar, line them up, I will need it.â€ Additionally, the coworkerâ€™s full name, occupation and employer are listed on their â€œabout meâ€ page.
What would you do regarding this posting? Explain clearly