Final Project: Personal Behavior Change Plan
For your Final Project, you are to develop a personal behavioral change plan. After completing the assessments throughout the course, you should have a good idea of your wellness strengths and your weaknesses. Choose one dimension that you would like to change. Discuss each of the following areas in your plan presentation:
- Identify the wellness dimension you want to improve. Explain why you chose this dimension. In your response, describe your previous assessments and examine at least three lifestyle factors (diet, exercise, substance use, etc.) responsible for low assessment results in the dimension of wellness you chose to improve.
- Compare your current behaviors to the ideal behaviors for each of the lifestyle factors that you identified. For example, if you selected stress as a lifestyle factor that contributes to your low assessment of emotional wellness, then compare your current stress-related behaviors (fighting with family, eating sweets, watching TV, drinking alcohol, etc.) to ideal stress management behaviors (appropriate conflict-resolution, meditation, daily exercise, massage, deep breathing, etc.). Select a minimum of one current behavior and one ideal behavior for each of the three lifestyle factors that you identified.
- Describe the health risks and diseases associated with your current behaviors. Explain how your current behaviors would lead to these negative consequences if left unchanged.
- Review the transtheoretical model of behavior change in Chapter 1 of your course textbook. Explain this model and discuss your readiness to change. Include which stage of change you are in currently and why you feel this way.
- Imagine that you were ready to plan for change, and identify three behaviors you could adopt to decrease your health risk and improve your specified dimension of wellness. Use the previous information to help with your selection.
- Refer to the development of SMART goals in your text and develop three of your own SMART goals. Be sure to include all the parts of a SMART goal (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Trackable) for each goal set. As you discuss these in your assignment, explain your objectives and why you chose these goals.
- Review the supplemental material on the social cognitive theory, theory of planned behavior, health belief model, and transtheoretical model. Using these theories and models, discuss how each one may be able to predict your success in making this change. In your reply, explain the use of models and theories in health and wellness.
- Describe three barriers (one barrier per behavior change) that may prevent you in making these changes.
- Discuss one way to overcome each of your barriers.
- Explain three motivational techniques that will help you maintain your plan.
- Finally, develop a wellness philosophy based on your own values and beliefs and from what you have learned in this class.