Pertaining to Police & Community Relations:
1. Pick a location that you can sit in and observe people without being too obvious. Pick a bench on a busy street or in a public park. Whichever place you pick, make sure it is a public place.
2. Decide what type of behavior you want to observe and what type of people you want to observe. DO NOT OBSERVE CRIMINAL ACTIVITY –IT IS TOO DANGEROUS, it brings up too many ethical issues, and it is not allowed!!! Perhaps you want to observe how the police interact with the public or the behavior of homeless persons in the park.
3. Keep a log and report on everything you see (1 page): This will serve as your field notes. Your field notes can be handwritten. What do the people look like? What are they wearing? How are they behaving? Who are they with? What can you interpret from their body language? Include everything and anything and write everything down.
4. Do at least three observations on three separate days for 15-20 minutes each
5. Analyze your results (1 page): Did you find anything interesting? For example, do security guards at Macy’s follow people of color around more than white people? Look for trends. Write up everything you did, beginning with who you decided to observe, where you decided to observe them, what you saw, and conclude with the results of your observations. Describe your experience with the field work. Did you like it, hate it, find it interesting, etc. and why? Did you face any difficulties? Submit the typed proposal with your field notes attached to the back.
6. Policy Implications (1 Page): What is the meaning of your research?
How can it impact public policy? For example,do we require more police presence or does it me an that we require more sensitivity training for law enforcement.
7. Limitations (1 paragraph): What are the weaknesses of your study design? How could this study be improved?
8. Future Research (1 paragraph): What should other researchers focus on in this area? What is the next recommendation for future study? Why?
9. Works Cited Page: make sure to provide a full reference list that adheres to APA format.