Edict of Louis XIV, “The Code Noir” (1685), 155-158
- Describe (and give the numbers of) the articles in the “Code Noir” that place restrictions on slaves and slave masters.
- What does the “Code Noir” say about the relationship between race and slavery?
“Lawyers’ Arguments for Francisque…Paris” (1759), 159-163.
- Who is Francisque and what is at stake for him in this 1759 trial in Paris, France?
- Describe the meaning and logistics of France’s Freedom Principle insofar as Francisque’s lawyers convey its meaning.
- What two main arguments do Francisque’s lawyers put forth in support of his freedom?
BBC Four, “Episode 2: Fatal Impacts,” Racism: A History, Tim Robinson, Dir-Prod, March 2007, YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xlj29Nd6p8
- What “ fatal impacts” did increasingly scientific ideas about race have during the 19th century and first half of the 20th century? Offer 3-4 specific examples of actions, ideas, and/or outcomes.