- The discussion assignment provides a forum for discussing relevant topics for this week based on the course competencies covered.
For this assignment, make sure you post your initial response to the Discussion Area by the due date assigned.
To support your work, use your course and text readings and also use outside sources. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
Start reviewing and responding to the postings of your classmates as early in the week as possible. Respond to at least two of your classmates. Participate in the discussion by asking a question, providing a statement of clarification, providing a point of view with a rationale, challenging an aspect of the discussion, or indicating a relationship between two or more lines of reasoning in the discussion. Complete your participation for this assignment by the end of week.
Public Health Care Problems
The leading public health care problems in the U.S. are:
- Mental disorders
- Consumption of alcohol, nicotine, OTC drugs, and prescription drugs
- The count for people suffering from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year is on the rise. This figure translates to approximately 57.7 million people currently (National Institute of Mental Disorder, 2008).
In relation to problems regarding drugs, consumption of alcohol is considered as the leading problem. In addition, the consumption of Nicotine, OTC drugs, and prescription drugs are other prominent issues (McKenzie, Pinger, & Kotecki, 2008).
Based on these statements, create a report in a Microsoft Word document, discussing the following:
- Is the diagnosis of mental illnesses still viewed with a negative attitude as was done several years ago? Why or why not?
- Are the local and national health care providers adequately responding to the needs of people suffering from mental disorders?
- Should the local health care communities be held responsible for mandating specific care and treatment for the affected population? Why or why not?
- What are the two major types of abused drugs and the age groups most likely to use them? Why is drug usage prevalent among these populations?
- What roles should the state governments’ or private health agencies or organizations play in order to prevent and control drug abuse?
National Institute of Mental Disorder. (2008). The numbers count: Mental disorders in America. Retrieved from http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/the-numbers-count-mental-disorders-in-america/index.shtml
McKenzie, J. F., Pinger, R. R., & Kotecki, J. E. (2008).An introduction tocommunity health(6th ed.). Sadbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett.
Myessayvalet.com is an online, custom writing company whose mission is to provide quality and affordable custom papers as model papers to individuals around the universe for reference purposes only
+1 (518) 510 9548