Your ultimate research paper will merge material from the previous assignments into a single document that resembles a typical published sociological study. The highlighted portions of the paper below should come from:
- the paper proposal
- Data Project 1
- Data Project 2
can tell you more about the traditional format of a journal article.
Your paper will include the following sections (I recommend treating this outline like a checklist):
- What occupation are you studying, and why?
- How can studying this occupation tell us something sociological about work, in general? (adapted from paper proposal)
- Background and Theory
- Provide a â€œbig-pictureâ€ description of your selected occupation (description of the basic tasks, summary of average pay, demographic characteristics, education, etc., including the Census data table). (adapted from data projects 1 and 2)
- Summarize key research and theory about the dimensions of work that are most relevant for sociologically understanding workersâ€™ experiences in this occupation. You will need to cite theories and published studies from the lecture and reading.
- Describe how you conducted the content analysis of online employer reviews. (adapted from Data Project 1)
- Describe how you conducted your observational or interview research. (adapted from Data Project 2)
- Summarize the results from the employer reviews. What are key dimensions of work that workers in the occupation find most relevant for evaluating employers? Include the combined summary table of the reviews from Data Project 1 (adapted from Data Project 1)
- Summarize the results from your original data collection. What are the key dimensions of work that emerge from these data? (adapted from Data Project 2)
- How do these patterns differ between the types of data (i.e., what does one data project tell you that the other doesn’t)?
- Briefly summarize what you learned about workersâ€™ experiences in this occupation beyond what you described in the theory/background section.
- Discuss the strengths and limitations of the methods used in your study. (adapted from Data Projects 1 and 2)
The completed paper should be 8 to 15 pages long, not including the bibliography or tables. You will very likely need to shorten portions of your Data Projects that you include in the paper.
Please cite at least five (5) peer-reviewed sources (other than the course textbook) using ASA citation format (é“¾æŽ¥åˆ°å¤–éƒ¨ç½‘ç«™ã€‚). Microsoft Word includes a citation manager tool that automatically formats your in-line citations and creates your bibliography (instructions here (é“¾æŽ¥åˆ°å¤–éƒ¨ç½‘ç«™ã€‚)). Using the Microsoft Word tool, Chicago citation style is close enough to ASA format.